Sunday, September 23, 2007, at 2:30 PM, the congregation of St. Andrew's United Church in eastern Lachine
celebrated 175 years since the church cornerstone was laid in 1832 as the Scotch Presbyterian Church
of Lachine. |
Some 230 people crowded the sanctuary and the gallery for the service, led by former Summerlea student minister, Rev. Jeff Barlow and with the choir and organist from St. James United Church in downtown Montreal. A goodly number of Summerlea members were present, in recognition of the fact that Summerlea was spawned by St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church around 1904 and now includes many members of the St. Andrews' group who remained Presbyterian after Union in 1925 only to join Summerlea in 2005.
Following the service refreshments were served in the hall, with congratulatory speeches by Lachine Mayor Claude Dauphin and riding MP Marlene Jennings among others. Custodian George Provias told us that the reminiscing continued until early evening.